This framed picture was found at a thrift store for $15. I thought it was too much, but in essence, I was paying for the frame, not the faded print, and even though it had been around the block a time or two and was scuffed up, it was still solid structurally.
Rather than risk smearing the frame, I removed the print to paint the surface. My new best friend is Rust-Oleum Blackboard Paint. I gave it a good three coats before putting it back in the frame, and touched up the scuffs on the frame with gold paint. The back was recovered with kraft paper as it had been originally.
So there you have it. I love the thing and plan to use it or make another for use at farmer's market this summer.